Additional Fees
Insurance Quality

Called to cancel a flight reservation I had previously made, the change was due to an impending snow storm, and we needed to get our new seats together. When I called their customer service line, I was eventually (after two minutes of failing to navigate the voice prompts to go straight to a customer service agent) connected to an agent (Alex) in the Philippines who seemed to take an extra-ordinary amount of time (as though it were part of their script) to look up the JetBlue policy on change/cancellation.

It actually took him more than 5 minutes to look this up, which should have been available in seconds. I prompted him several times during that 5 minutes, and he kept telling me he was still looking it up. Once he did, he informed me that they only offered an Expedia credit, that it had to be used within 1 year and that it had to be used with the same airline and for the same person (I purchased the ticked with a credit card for another person). While I still asked him to cancel the flight, I asked to speak to a supervisor about how the credit after the change fee was issued.

He refused to cancel the flight, and told me that I would have to wait another 15-20 minutes to speak to a supervisor to cancel, and that I had to be on hold all that time to be connected, that he couldn't stay on the line with me, to make sure I didn't get disconnected in the interim. At this point, I had already been on the phone with Expedia for almost 20 minutes, and waiting another 20-30 minutes (the usual 1.5x multiplier when customer service agents tell you anticipated hold times for a supervisor) just to cancel a flight I had paid for was frustrating, and I told him he wasn't managing my expectations well. He eventually did connect me to Ed, his supervisor in the Philippines, who took another 5-10 minutes trying to explain the inflexibility in the cancellation rules, when I kept interrupting him to stop telling me the rules, to please cancel first, and then he can explain the rules. Finally, at the 32 minute mark, he agreed to do so, but it took him another 2 minutes to do so.

I'm a long time Expedia user, I was one of the early adopters of their platform. I will NEVER use them again. They need to empower their customer service agents to solve problems, not delay the conversation hoping the customer will go away (happy or not) so they can keep their money. They also need to empower their supervisors to do the same, instead of dragging out the conversations to make people hang up in frustration.

DON'T USE EXPEDIA!!!

They will NOT support you, and even though I purchased travel insurance and was changing my flight because of an impending snow storm in the Northeast US, they wasted half an hour of vacation I will never get back, as well as guaranteeing that I will never use them again. I would give the 0 stars if I could.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Lack of customer service solving problems, Delay in responding, Scripts designed to delay and frustrate customers to hang up.

Comments